Today research and education are increasingly global with international collaborations working in every field of research. Academics and students are highly mobile with teams joining together from around the globe. How do Institutions and Research and Education Networks support this highly mobile and demanding audience?
eduroam helps enable collaboration and mobility by giving students and researchers the ability to roam across more than 100 countries whilst accessing free Wi-Fi services provided by educational establishments.
The benefits of eduroam are immense both for Individuals, Institutions and particularly Research and Education Networks.
- For individuals the ability to turn on a smartphone, tablet or laptop and immediately get high performance, secure Wi-Fi access transforms the learning experience. No more needing to find free (and possibly insecure) Wi-Fi hotspots – the users’ existing credentials are used to access Wi-Fi wherever they need to connect.
- For institutions, there is no longer a need to provide insecure shared usernames and passwords or to respond to requests for access.
- For Research and Education Networks, eduroam offers a unique value added service to the institutions, users and the wider community. By providing eduroam capabilities NRENs can offer a highly visible, highly valued service.
By enabling eduroam your users get access in over 100 countries and tens of thousands of access points worldwide.
The eduroam team can provide research and education network providers a range of services and tools to help you implement eduroam in your region. This support includes:
- toolkits and guides to set up authentication and access services
- training on implementing and supporting eduroam
- workshops to help learn from the experience of other network providers
- policies to ensure access is managed and controlled safely and securely
- Configuration Assistant Tool to support rapid deployment of eduroam to institutions and users
- eduroam Managed IdP - a rapid way to let institutions provide eduroam to their users.
For more information on joining eduroam and providing access to your institutions and users, contact the eduroam team at: firstname.lastname@example.org